Friday 14 December 2012

Season's Greetings



In 10 days we will be on the eve of Christmas Day.  This time of year is always so magical.  I love the excitement of children who still believe in Santa Claus; of adults that still believe in the reason for the season and the essence of love and hope; if we choose to be still we can hear and feel it!

 Sometimes, things happen in our lives and muffle that inner voice.  We drowned it out with anger, resentment and hatred because things haven’t gone as we wanted.  The truth is...we always have what we really need.  The trick is recognizing it and celebrating it. 

2012, has been a HUGE year of transition for me.  Some were changes I intentionally choreographed and some...I had no control over.  Naturally the ones I had “control” over were easier to adjust to but, those I had no “control” over, I’ve just had to have faith they too were in my best interest.

A year ago today, I was feeling bitter-sweet.  I was nervous, anxious, scared and yet excited.  On December 31, 2011 I would be leaving my position with the federal government.  I had worked there for 20 years.  For the first 17 years I loved it.  The last 3 were horrible.  A new manager came in and created a toxic cess pool working environment.  Despite my attempts to work through it, with the support and encouragement from my soul mate, my best friend...my husband we created a five year plan and I left public service.

The five year plan included me registering my own business; It’s theButterfly Effect Inc which would eventually offer many services to assist people to find order in life’s chaos.  I would seek out key people I envisioned who could help me breathe life into another goal; my not-for-profit business; Artistically Speaking Out Against Bullying.  The premise or philosophy of this organization would focus on addressing the effects of all bullying for all ages in a positive manner rather than in a confrontational or conventional way.

Additionally, during that five years, I would become a certified Soul Coach.  I would receive my ASIST (applied suicide intervention skill training), safeTALK and reflexology certifications.  And, I would do my pilgrimage; the Camino de Santiago de Compostella.

Well....today, almost a full year has past by.  I’ve registered It’s the Butterfly Effect Inc and have started to generate awareness around my business in the Southwestern Ontario area.  I recruited several amazing people who have helped me establish and register Artistically Speaking Out Against Bullying. We completed a very successful pilot project, were nominated for an Innovation award for the work we do in the community, have been invited to some key organizations for children and youth within our city and some neighbouring communities.  I’ve become a certified Soul Coach, earned my ASIST and safeTALK certifications.  I’ve joined two other organizations: Elgin Suicide Prevention Coalition and Society for Quality Education.  I completed 111km of my pilgrimage, the Camino de Santiago de Compostella to receive my Compostella/certificate; and I’m just about ready for my final practical exam in order to become a certified reflexologist. AND...in the middle of all this, my soul mate, my best friend...my husband, of 23 years, left me.

I end 2012, as I ended 2011, feeling bitter-sweet.  Six months away from my 50th b’day I find myself a single mother of three teenage daughters and no income.  And while I am very nervous, anxious and scared about what 2013 holds in store for me...I am excited.  Living our truth and living a life of purpose is not always easy when it means not following the ‘norm’ but, believing and having faith that you will always be given what you need when you needed, sure helps. 

My children have been a HUGe support and foundation for me since their father left.  They truly are brilliant and amazing young people.  Naturally my parents and my brother have been very supportive but what I’ve been very surprised by is in the depth of my friendships.  I had forgotten how powerful and wonderful, the support of true friends can be. The kind of friends who help you make the choices that are right for you because it is your best interest they are looking out for and not... sway you to share their journey. 

Every day, I try to live my life in truth; a life of purpose and knowing.  Seeing the ugly in the world around us is very easy if that’s all you wish to see.  BUT....if you choose to be quiet – listen from within to the softness and block out the harshness...the world truly is a beautiful place with so many amazing people.  Miracles are all around you if you chose to see them.  Put out a pure and true desire.  Patiently wait; and the universe will give it to...in abundance.

As you wind down 2012, and prepare for 2013....take time to look at all that is positive in your life.  Acknowledge it.  Appreciate it.  Next Friday – December 21 is a day many events are expected to happen on.  It is also the Winter Solstice; the shortest day of the year.  In the darkness listen for and celebrate your spirit and as the days come brighter and longer....let your spirit shine brightly and magnificently!

However, you celebrate the season may it be wondrous and out of harm's way.

From my heart to yours.... a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

....Carleana

No comments:

Post a Comment